Thursday, January 22, 2009

Realizations & Resolutions

So I haven't made any resolutions per se, but I have gone on a two week alcohol free stint due to doctor's orders. Does that count as a resolution?? On day two and things are going well!! (I know, I know....random.)

Anyways, if any of you read the focus board lately you know about the "issues" that arose there. I have no idea what those problems were or how they came to be, but they got me thinking. (Here comes the realization part.) I realized that sometimes I really have no clue what's going on in the world of my horses. I am wrapped up in work, and feeding, and the baby, and god knows what else. I realized that I need to introduce myself and start a convo with people I don't know, and get to know the people I don't know well better. (That make sense to anyone else?) I realized that things I thought were the truth weren't the truth at all, and that I need to be more open to the people I had shut out. (This post probably resonates with my other post on the focus itself.)

With that said, I have decided to become a bonafide member of all 4 Spanish Mustang registries. (SMR, HOA, AIHR, AHHA). Starting immediately, ok, when I get the cash. LOL!! I've got some big loan payments to make, but expect a nice weekend at work coming up to help pay to get the ball rolling. After my memberships are effective, I will be registering horses. Starting with Remme and making my way down the line. I hope to help out in the SMR as much as possible and also have offered my services to the AHHA. I have a four year degree in Equine and have dabbled in many different disciplines, so I think that I could be of some help to whoever will let me in.

Moving on, Ransom and Token. When I got these guys they had minimal handling and were quite skittish around people. There was no way I was going to be able to spend much time with them in my current boarding situation, and looked into getting a stall at a local boarding barn for a month to put them through an intensive training routine. As stated below, that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. Ransom has come around on his own. He was the first of the two to approach me if I had grain, and would allow me to touch him and lead him around. In the last few months he has decided that people are his friends and will walk up to me on his own for a good scratching. I have no doubts that I will be able to halter him again and do work with him without the need for a stall when spring comes. Token, on the other hand, will only come to grain. You have to start very slowly to touch him while he's eating, and you can't get past his shoulder if you do. I believe that he will come around with time and the right facility to house him. The latter is the problem. I have the time, or could make the time, but I do not have the stall/pen he needs. Don't get me wrong, he has been handled, leads and loads, but you sure as heck can't get near him without a bucket. I am at the end of my rope with this situation. I know he is going to be an extremely athletic competitor in his chosen discipline once he gets going, so it bugs me that I have come to the conclussion that I have. That is that he needs to move onto a home that can provide him with what he needs to be a stellar example of his breed. I have offered him back to Kim as a trade for something smaller and more handleable until I am in a better place myself, but he's at the ranch this weekend and won't be back for a few days. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what he says. Otherwise I will have to look into something else. Not sure what that is, as I am sure as heck not going to dump him at an auction. Anyone have any suggestions??

Becky

3 comments:

  1. As far as Token goes, do you have any panels to set up a small round pen? Even a 12 x 12 stall of panels could help you work with him. Lure him in with grain. Once he is confined, then work with him. Getting him more handled can only help to find him another home.

    And I applaud you on the membership issue and being open to other 'truths.' I have reached the same conclusion. I was going to join the AHHA a couple of months ago, but the pdf form online wasn't working for me. I'm already and SMR, SBBA and HOA member. I have been a member of the AIHR and SSMA in the past. Not sure if I let my SSMA membership lapse. I don't think so.

    Each organization has it's own, differing focus. They are all of interest to me and have value for the horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, the SMR needs folks like you. I know that Simrat is looking for someone to take over the Newsletter, we need someone to ferret out news for both it and the Annual. We need someone to take over the Message Board too at some time. We need dedicated insightful and thick skinned folks who can stand quietly steady against the avalanche of negativity that bombards us constantly. There are a few of us who are working hard to bring a better light to the SMR, regardless of what you hear. We are open minded and friendly and have goals for a future brighter SMR.

    What I am saying is if you want a job in the SMR, we can and will welcomely find you one. Some folks may wonder about your politics if you do. But it will be worth it in the long run if we can succeed.

    I also applaud your openess. I have considered registering my stock in all of the registries also.

    Great Post!
    ;) S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your responses guys. I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I think that my decisions will better me and my program in the long run. Not to mention the horses!! As for Token, I have 6 or 7 ten foot panels that I would be more then willing to set up come spring and give him a go. Two problems with that. The first, they are all destroyed. Remme did some damage, but most of it was caused by the old man and his need to drag them around with his tractor. They will have to be re-welded and bent back into shape before hey are useable again. Second, is the old man himself. Anytime I have something penned up separate he gets on my case that I am not feeding them enough, or giving them enough water. When obviously I am because I care about my animals and my stock is healthy. So in the end he just takes it upon himself to turn them loose. Doesn't do me any good to try and explain to him that they are in training and need to be separate. It's like talking to a brick wall. There's no room for budging on that one. Otherwise I would try that first before trying anything else!!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete